- Genotyping using PCR methodology as well as real-time PCR techniques (e.g. TaqMan assays).
- Gene expression profiling (blood, tissue samples, postmortem, animal models, cell culture, iPSC etc.) using quantitative real-time RT-PCR methodology and microarrays.
- In situ hybridization methodology for localization.
- Manipulation of gene expression in vitro using siRNA as well as plasmids.
- Protein analysis via western blot, ELISA and immunohistochemical/immunocytochemical analysis.
- Fluorescence and colorimetric cytochemical analysis and evaluation via computerized software for density and localization (microscopically).
- Enzymatic activity assays – influence of therapy and genes.
Cell culture models:
- Neuronal cell lines treatments for differentiation, proliferation and cell death.
- Primary cell culture for drug therapy study.
- Lymphoblastoid cell culture originating from cases and controls for molecular mechanisms investigations.
- Cell line models using siRNA / plasmid methodology for down/up regulation of a specific gene.
- Live Cell imaging techniques for monitoring changes in neuronal cell culture.
Induced Pluripotent stem cells (iPSC):
- Extractions and cultivation of keratinocytes from patients and health controls from hair follicles.
- Reprogramming of keratinocytes into iPSC followed by differentiation into neuronal progenitor cells and matured neuronal cells.
- Investigation of molecular mechanisms and therapy treatment effects on the patients based neuronal cells originating from the iPSC.
Cell Analyzer Tool:
In the following movie a recent method is introduced, developed and evaluated in our lab. You can also download the associated paper below.
Real-Time Impedance-based Cell Analyzer as a Tool to Delineate Molecular Pathways Involved in Neurotoxicity and Neuroprotection in a Neuronal Cell Line
Zoya Marinova, Susanne Walitza, Edna Grünblatt